What’s the best gas log splitter?
If you own a wood burning fireplace unit at your home, then you need to own a best-rated gas log splitter as well.
A great gas log splitter offers you numerous benefits. It eliminates an axe, making the tedious and time-consuming task of splitting logs easier and fun. It has a huge splitting capacity and can handle up to 38 tons of logs! If you’re cutting tough hardwood, they’ll offer you the best performance.
Best side: They’re more mobile, unlike the electric models that are tied to an outlet.
Although there are varieties of gas log splitters on the market today, you need to narrow down your search and look for the best products only. This is the only sure way to enjoy all the benefits mentioned above.
How do you pick a top-quality gas log splitter that enables you to split your wood faster (and in the shapes you desire)?
Let’s focus on this next…
If you don’t have enough time to read the whole article, here’ our top 5 picks:
Gas Log Splitter Name
Dirty Hand Tools 100171 22 Ton Log Splitter
Champion Power Equipment 90720 7 Ton (Portable)
Dirty Hand Tools 100408 27 Ton Gas Powered Log Splitter
Champion Power Equipment No.92221 Log Splitter
Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SLS20825 25 Ton
Things To Consider Before Buying A Gas Log Splitter
This one depends on your needs. However, you need to keep the following factors in mind to ensure you end up with the best of the best tool in your home:
Log splitting jobs involve dealing with different wet as well as sturdy woods. Thus, your gas splitter should have the ability to deal with various types of logs.
Depending on your requirements, if you are dealing with tough hardwoods, for the most part, you must own a log splitter with a higher power to help you split the logs successfully.
Factors to consider when determining the power of your tool include amps, force, horsepower, etc.
Everyone wants a gas log splitter that’s capable of breaking huge chunks of logs. For this reason, make sure you check the maximum size the splitter you intend to buy can handle.
This will help you figure out if the tool will serve your needs well. Otherwise, you might end up investing in a splitter that lies in your store without much help.
Is The Splitter Portable?
You will need to move your gas log splitter from one area to another. This is especially true when you need to split wood beams that are far from your home, or you simply want to store it safely after use.
As you know, bulky log splitter without portability will give you headaches when you try to move to move them.
So, you need to look for a splitter that comes with wheels for easy transfer. Some models require that you tow them. In such cases, look for the hitch ball feature that will enable you to carefully and safely and efficiently pull the system.
A transport handle will be an advantage that will make the transfer process, even more, easier.
What’s the splitting Speed?
How do you determine the rate at which the splitter splits your logs? It’s as easy as pie- you pay attention to the cycle times of your machine. If the device comes with fast cycle times, this means that it will be able to split more logs in a short period.
A splitter with 15 seconds cycle speed is considered among the fastest models.
So, you should use this range to determine whether the tool you’re about to buy will meet your speed requirements or not.
Height Adjustability Feature
A splitter is capable of dealing with various sizes of logs. Therefore, having a log plate for the height adjusted is an essential feature. It will give you a simpler and faster-guided operation.
For the most part, splitters come with around three height adjustment plates; some have two. Some vertical style models also come with clamps that facilitate easier handling of the logs.
Durability is Important
It’s a well-known fact that any machine made of steel metal will last longer. With this information in mind, you need to ensure that you check whether the splitter you’re but to buy is engineered using pure steel.
This will help guarantee you that you’ll use it for an extended period of time without encountering any problems or without having to worry consistent machine failure in the middle of the job.
With such machines, I always advise you to ensure that you buy ones that offer you a warranty.
This is important as you can be guaranteed of repair as well as the maintenance services at any one time your machine tends to malfunction within the set warranty period.
Additional factors to consider:
- Ensure that the tool you buy is extremely easy to use
- You also need to come up with a budget for the machine you intend to buy. Products falling under your budget should bear features that will help you achieve all your needs
- Looking for online reviews of previous users on the machine you’ve settled will give you firsthand information on how it works, whether it malfunctions when in use, durability, ease of use, and so much more
- Buying from reputable brands is an added advantage
- The machine should be easy to maintain
Our Top Picks For Gas Log Splitter
1. Dirty Hand Tools 100171 22 Ton Log Splitter Review
No products found.
No products found.
This is one of the best gasoline-powered splitters on the market right now. It’s a handy tool that will help you chop your logs into smaller chunks and according to your shape specifications. It’s a real dirty hand tool that can cut anything that’s ready to be cut at high speed.
It can cut up to 22 tons wood in few seconds only.
The product comes with a superior Kohler engine that helps you cut your wood nicely and smoothly. The tool is incredibly easy to use. It allows you to cut your wood in both vertical and horizontal directions.
With a time cycle of around 10.9 seconds, this tool ranks among the fastest cutters out there. You can guess that it will split a 22-ton wood faster than ever! And when cutting your wood, it guarantees you an excellent performance as well as ultimate safety.
The machine has a 4-inche diameter and leaves an adequate space for the placement of gas cylinder. It also comes with a pump rated at 2 stage of 13GPM.
The splitter has become a highly popular and useful product among many homeowners. It has an overall beautiful, attractive appearance that makes you feel like using it the entire day!
- 22-ton gas log splitter
- Features a powerful 6.5HP 196cc Kohler engine
- Supports vertical and horizontal splitting
- 10.9 second cycle time ensures faster wood cutting
- Comes with a 2 stage 13-GPM pump
- 4-inch diameter- with a 24-inch stroke
2. Champion Power Equipment 90720 7 Ton Compact Portable Log Splitter Review
No products found.
No products found.
Champion Power Equipment 90720 is another product that has enjoyed extensive usage and loads of positive feedbacks due to its quick and dependable performance.
Like all the other Champion machines it has broken the records in splitting the logs! And its durable, well-placed wheels allow you to move it from one area to another without any struggles.
With a pretty quick 20secs full-time cycle time (plus an efficient auto-return control valve), this machine is capable of over 180 cycles an hour! What’s more- it can hold logs as long as 19.3 inches and as heavy as 50lb.
It features an incorporates log cradles for easy holding of the logs to be split. It comes with a low profile design that facilitates easier loading of the heavy logs. A skewed wedge improves its splitting efficiency.
The splitter’s compact design, never-flat tires, and a convenient handle make the machine easy to store anywhere and to move from one job to the other.
This top-rated gas log splitter draws it power from a highly reliable 80cc Champion cylinder OHV engine (with 0.4 gal. fuel tank and 0.4 qt oil capacity). It has an automatic low-oil shut-off sensor. Its hydraulic oil unit has a 1.3 gal.
Oil capacity and operates at 2GPM at 3900PSI. Above all, Champion offers you a complete 2-year limited warranty to give you the best experience with this product!
- Extremely portable machine with never
- Flat tires and a convenient handle
- Efficient tool with a quick 20secs cycle time and auto-return control valve
- Skewed wedge for better splitting experience
- Integrated log cradle for offer great wood support
- Low profile design ensures easier splitting of the heavier logs
- 2-year limited warranty
- FREE lifetime technical support!
3. Dirty Hand Tools 100408 27 Ton Log Splitter Review
No products found.
No products found.
Dirty Hand Tools 100408 is another fantastic 27-ton log gas splitter that will make your wood cutting effort simpler than you can imagine. Talking of splitting speed, the tool incorporates a 2 stage 13GPM pump that delivers a 14 second cycle time- down and back. That’s so fast, right?
Now, this splitter comes with a superior Kohler engine with 196cc and capable of delivering up to 6.5HP. It supports horizontal and vertical wood cutting positions, allowing you to cut your wood according to your needs.
Besides, the feature also helps you work in a variety of positions. The splitter’s 6.5 gal. tank comes filled with the premium hydraulic film. This allows you to get started as soon as you receive your machine. A log catcher is also integrated for easy loading.
The machine also features a trailer hitch, 2-inch ball with safety chains, not forgetting the DOT-Approved 16-inch tires that facilitate easy transportation to your next job.
The 3-year limited warranty will truly give you peace of mind!
- 27-ton gas log splitter with 6.5HP Kohler engine
- It’s a horizontal/vertical log splitter
- Quick 14 second cycle time; down and back
- 4.5” diameter cylinder with 24” stroke
- 2 stage 13GPM pump
- 3-year limited warranty
- Log catcher standard
4. Champion Power Equipment No.92221 Gas Powered Log Splitter ReviewNo products found.
No products found.
This is one of the most robust gas log gas splitters ever to come from Champion Power Equipment manufacturers.
The machine is so perfectly crafted that it will help you smoothly slice down even the toughest or the most stubborn logs. It outputs a fantastic 22-ton performance level!
The model is capable of splitting down logs whose length ranges from 16 to 24 inches and weighs around 100 pounds.
The powerful machine gets its power from the 196cc Champion single cylinder. Besides, it has a 4-stroke OHV engine that takes approximately 14 seconds to complete each cycle time. The fact that this unit features a 2-inch ball hitch coupler plus DOT-Approved wheels make it an easily towable trailer that you can conveniently carry or store in any place (with 45 mph maximum speed).
It also supports vertical and horizontal operations- user-friendly operations that make log splitting an entirely easy task!
The system is completely safe to use. It has safety features such as skewed wedges and logs stripper that prevents the wood splits from blocking the system when it’s working.
Additionally, it features two log catchers on either side for safe wood splitting. With this particular machine from Champion, you’ll enjoy a super package ultimate high power, agility, and lasting durability!
- 22 Ton performance
- 4” x 23” hydraulic cylinder with 14 seconds cycle time
- Powered by Champion 196cc OHV Engine (with cast iron sleeve)
- 2 stage Hydraulic pump: 11GPM and a maximum pressure of 3500PSI
- Extremely portable system
- One year limited warranty
- Elegant, eye-pleasing design
5. Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SLS20825 25 Ton Gas Powered Log Splitter Review
No products found.
No products found.
Looking for the best gas log splitter for commercial use?
Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SLS20825 will serve you best. Capable of generating up to 25 tons of pressure, it’s an ideal unit for heavy duty use (perfect for commercial use). But that does not mean you can’t use this machine at your home- it will perform just as great!
This system employs a superior engine to output an outstanding performance. It utilizes a premium quality 280cc OHV engines. This is the task force behind the production of 25tons that effectively splits even the largest tree branches into smaller chunks of logs within seconds.
The machine has a 16 seconds cycle time which is quite efficient and fast. The device also supports vertical and horizontal functionality to meet your needs and save you from the unnecessary weariness.
When lead-free, the engine runs at a speed of 3750 RPM and utilized unleaded gasoline (around 2.6 liters).
From its big size, you might think that this unit is unmovable. That’s not true. It’s a towable trailer that comes with 2-inch coupler hitch plus two big wheels- size 16” x 4.8”- which helps move the unit around.
Its towing speed is around 45miles an hour. The log splitter successfully cuts logs as long as 26 inches. Its exact dimensions are 75” x 18.7” x 29.1.”
- Employs a superior 208cc Southland OHV gas engine for optimal performance
- Internal oil transfer system provides extra lubrication to the engine bearings, reducing friction and extending its lifespan
- Versatile gas log splitter that supports both vertical and horizontal operations
- Incredibly portable system, thanks to the pneumatic wheels and transport handle
10 Tips For Using a Gas Log Splitter The Right Way
Getting the right gas log splitter is not all. You need to learn how to use the machine correctly, safely, and get the most out of it. Remember that any machine generating over 20 tons of pressure ought to be used with high caution!
Below, I will offer you helpful tips on how to use your unit the right way:
1. Before you attempt to assemble or operate your machine, it’s important that you go through operators manual. Read carefully, understand, and follow all the outlined instructions on how to use your machine. Among other things, this will help you know how to use all the machine controls, and how to stop it as well as disengage it quickly.
2. NEVER use you log splitter at night. Daylight is the right time to operate your splitter for safety reasons. And if you must use it at night, ensure you’ve sufficient lighting- comparable to daylight.
3. When running your machine, always wear sturdy shoes/boots and glove, as well as safety goggles or glasses. When splitting wood, some pieces usually fly at high velocities. While still at it, avoid wearing jewelry or any other clothing that might accidentally get caught in the splitter.
4. Ensure that the beam you want to cut is locked-in appropriately before you start cutting it.
5. Cut your logs with squared off ends before you start splitting them
6. NEVER attempt cutting more than one log at any one time!
7. Make it a habit of keeping your work area as clear as possible. Eliminate all the wood around the machine to avoid tripping incidents.
8. It’s one operator at a time. Period! The person loading and stabilizing the log should be the same person operating the control handle.
9. To ensure maximum safety, always run your gas log splitter on a flat, dry, and solid ground.
10. Ensure you block your machine before you start operating it to prevent unintended movements- lock in either vertical or horizontal directions.
Gas wood splitters present you with a lot of benefits. They help split large pieces of timber and tree branches into smaller, manageable sizes as you require, without letting your body suffer from strains of any kind.
They cut the logs the woods in the shortest time possible, saving your precious time. If you combine your personal needs with the factors listed above, you’ll end up selecting the best gas log splitter.
Our list of the top-rated gas splitters above offers you the best-performing machines on the market today. We tried to provide an honest rating so that you can make the right buying decision.
These splitters will help you split big, stubborn logs into small logs. Moreover, they’re highly portable and can be moved around effortlessly.
Make a decision today; order any of these great gas log splitters today and wave the axe goodbye!
Last update on 2022-05-17 at 08:51 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API